Chief Marketing Officer
MSU’s Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) plans, creates and implements consistent and comprehensive marketing and communications strategies and materials that build awareness, understanding, participation and support among internal and external audiences. The CMO will develop and conduct strategic marketing and communications objectives through planning and production of MSU marketing and communications assets. The CMO is supervised by MSU’s Vice President for Strategic Communications (VPSC), who sets overall goals for branding, marketing and communications in collaboration with MSU’s senior leadership.
Salary Grade: 20
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and lead marketing campaigns for the institution that use innovative approaches to effectively raise awareness of the university, enhance our image nationally and globally, and effectively improve the awareness and image of MSU.
• Work closely with the Office of Admissions and Scholarships to create brand awareness and effectiveness in student recruitment.
• Collaborates with departments throughout campus to understand and generate support for specific institutional needs; integrates advancement communication efforts throughout campus to ensure consistency of messages and effective timing of outreach; collaborates with MSU senior leadership to ensure their understanding of, and support for, marketing and communication campaigns.
• Coordinates writing, photography, design and production of print and digital newsletters, magazines and other publications.
• Develops and coordinates a strategic communications plan for MSU social media accounts in the Office of Public Affairs.
• Works with MSU college, departmental and major center communicators to build marketing assets that support MSU’s central brand and to encourage and assist those communicators in concert with the VPSA.
• Supervise staff and student employees who develop and promote MSU marketing materials, particularly on digital platforms.
• Regular and prompt attendance.
• Ability to work schedule as defined and additional hours as required.
• Related duties as required.
• Other duties as assigned by the VPSC.
Education: Bachelor’s degree Communications, marketing, journalism, public relations or related field from an accredited institution
Experience (years): Seven years’ Professional experience in marketing and communications
Experience with higher education marketing and social media preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to concisely express complex information and identify and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
• Ability to supervise and lead staff.
• Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting and almost all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Routines deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume is predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
• Job occasionally requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Job occasionally requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.