Payroll/Human Resources Assistant
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
● Performs full range of payroll functions, to include processing an accurate bi-weekly payroll, calculating retirement and termination payouts, calculating retroactive pay, resolving pay related issues, interpreting payroll related rules and regulations, adjusting leave and pay according to Board action, department director’s requests, and human resource directives.
● Checks payroll records for accuracy and compliance with established regulations and policies; corrects time card errors; assists department timekeepers with problems and questions.
● Serves as a liaison with representatives of the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS). Provides retirement counseling to employees, retirees, beneficiaries of retirees, and beneficiaries of deceased active employees. Processes all documentation required for retirement. Reviews all documentation for accuracy and makes timely submission to PERS.
● Assists in processing of all personnel actions to include: new hires, transfers, job class changes, pay rate changes, and terminations. Creates positions in various departments as needed.
● Updates the City’s human resources information system with information regarding new-hires, promotions, transfers, demotions, and terminations prior to payroll.
● Conducts annual I-9 audits and maintains I-9 records in accordance with Federal regulations.
● Provides training to departments on payroll related topics.
● Reviews, verifies and submits initial first report of injury claim forms for workers' compensation; creates and maintains medical and workers' compensation files.
● Processes and assists employees with documentation related to benefits, retirement, leave, commercial driver's license, employment applications, and related billing and/or payment.
● Serves as the liaison for FMLA administration. Tracks employees who are out on an approved leave of absence, that are either beyond FMLA, or who have exhausted accrued leave.
● Assists with and facilitates internal and external recruitment processes. Prepares job postings for the City’s online application system. As necessary, facilitates additional focused advertisements. Coordinates the posting of vacant positions with outside organizations. Electronically maintains employment applications.
● Writes and/or updates job descriptions as needed.
● Assists with the interview process by scheduling, preparing materials, sending candidate status letters, and electronically maintaining interview records.
● Conducts new employee orientation, monitors and implements an on-boarding program and probationary performance management program.
● Oversees and/or conducts employee drug and alcohol testing and screening programs.
● Supports and assists the Human Resources Manager with the City’s annual open enrollment process.
● Assists managers, employees and the public with questions regarding employment with the City and information related to personnel policies, and benefits.
● Designs brochures, flyers, newsletters, and other documents for various Human Resources sponsored events/activities.
● Facilitates the processing of the City’s liability insurance claims. Maintains documentation of incidents and correspondence/communication with all involved parties.
● Performs a variety of office assignments such as processing mail, answering, screening and directing telephone calls. Provides customer service.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Fundamental principles and practices of personnel and payroll administration.
● Applicable Federal, State and local laws, rules, codes and regulations related to personnel and payroll policies and procedures.
● Principles, practices and techniques of public Human Resources administration including: recruitment, selection, training, and payroll.
● Principles and practices of public administration, operations, services and activities of a local government.
Skill and Ability to:
● Deal with sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and to maintain confidentiality.
● Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
● Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
● Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
● Use tact, initiative, and judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines.
● Prepare clear, accurate and concise reports, correspondence and other Human Resources materials.
● Establish, maintain and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
● Follow Department and City policies and procedures operating with minimum supervision.
Payroll/Human Resources Assistant - Non -Exempt - $36,000 ($17.30 per hour) to $45,000 ($21.63 hour) based on 2080 hours.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
● Associate's degree in Public or Business Administration, Accounting or related field from an accredited college. Equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
● Three (3) years of experience in human resources or in payroll, preferably in a government setting.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
● Must possess a valid Driver’s License and acceptable MVR.
● Possess certification as a Notary Public or be able to be certified.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
● Direct deposit and social security card are required.
● Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position.
● A one-year probationary period may be required.
● Satisfactorily complete an employment verification and pre-employment drug screening.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The work is generally performed within an office environment. Requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, see, and effectively communicate with others for extended periods of time. Must be able to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously, work with numerous interruptions, and adjust to changing priorities. Must demonstrate good use of judgment and demonstrate the ability to properly deal with confidential matters. Must use good interpersonal skills.
The City of Starkville, is an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION employer. Candidates are considered for employment with the City, without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
A drug screen is required for this position.