This is administrative and technical work in providing proper inventory and accounting control for the Utilities Department. This includes the complete process associated with receiving and charging out material and processing Work Orders on a monthly basis. Work also involves developing and maintaining detailed financial reports pertaining to capitalized and expensed items.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Determines appropriateness of and prepares entries, corrections and adjustments to plant and specified asset accounting records; evaluates variances and analyzes the effects of transactions on various account relationships related to financial statements.
· Responsible for the accuracy and timely processing of all AP invoices and checks and maintains the accounts payable /vendor files. Balances the accounts payable subsidiary journal to the general ledger monthly.
· Evaluates alternative means of treating transactions, which enter into the preparation of all monthly, quarterly and annual accounting and financial reports, in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles and FERC guidelines.
· Prepares or oversees monthly, quarterly and annual reports related to Plant Accounting areas of responsibility.
· Performs, researches and implements solutions on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and regulatory issues Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), accounting guidelines, and applicable federal and state governmental accounting standards.
· Maintains Projects and Fixed Asset accounting systems and uses available tools to query those systems for information; understands & supports relationship between Projects, Fixed Assets and General Ledger modules of financials.
· Enters work orders to close monthly; monitors and audits inventory balances monthly and annually; prepares and posts adjusting journal entries to the general ledger; meets specified or required deadlines.
· Using available software develops worksheets to provide reports and supporting accounting schedules, as necessary.
· Provides customer service to other departments within the department on issues pertaining to operations & plant accounting.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and all members of the general public, using excellent customer service skills both orally and written.
· Recommends improvements or modifications to accounting systems & procedures.
· Assists with budget preparation, evaluation, and tracking on a quarterly and annual basis.
· Attend meetings, training, and workshops as may be required.
· Performs preventive maintenance. Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Applicable Federal, State and local laws, rules, codes and regulations applicable to utility accounting, governmental accounting, and grant administration.
· Internal control procedures; cash collection, payroll, purchasing, procurement and accounts payable functions.
· Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of accounting and financial reporting.
· Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) accounting guidelines, and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements, theories, and practices.
Skills and Ability to:
· Microsoft Excel, Word, and Access and ability to learn new technology systems very quickly and efficiently.
· Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
· Review, analyze and interpret financial records and to prepare accurate financial statements and budget schedules and notes.
· Handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
· Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
· Use tact, initiative, prudence and independent judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines.
· Follow Department and City policies and procedures operating with minimum supervision.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college.
· Equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
· CPA status preferred.
· Three (3) years of increasingly responsible utility accounting experience including two (2) years of supervisory or management experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
· Must possess a valid Mississippi Driver’s License and acceptable MVR.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The work is generally performed within an office environment. Requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, see, and effectively communicate with others for extended periods of time. Must be able to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously, work with numerous interruptions, and adjust to changing priorities. Must demonstrate good use of judgment and demonstrate the ability to properly deal with confidential matters. Must use good interpersonal skills.
The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific job duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment contract and is subject to change as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.
Regular and consistent attendance is a condition of continuing employment.
The City of Starkville, is an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION employer. Candidates are considered for employment with the City, without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
A drug screen is required for this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.63 - $26.00 per hour
Paid time off
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
Accounting: 3 years (Required)
GAAP: 2 years (Preferred)
3 days ago
If you require alternative methods of application or screening, you must approach the employer directly to request this as Indeed is not responsible for the employer's application process.